Friday, October 31, 2014

Visit with Nova Scotia friends - October 2014

As I continued to sort through my picture file I found these pictures of our visit with old friends from Sarnia, who now live in Nova Scotia.  Even though we don't see each other often, we can pick up right where we left off, and it is like no time has passed at all between visits. 
We spent a sunny afternoon touring around Almonte, and stopped shopping from time to time to take a picture.

Hilarity abounded when we all posed at the Naismith statue.  Paul is a basket case indeed!
The next day was rainy, so we decided to find an indoor activity to entertain us. We had often seen signs pointing to the Diefenbunker museum in Carp, and wanted to take the tour there, so that's where we headed on this rainy afternoon.  
This is a picture of the blast tunnel leading to the front door of the bunker.  It was built to absorb the blast from a nuclear explosion at one end of the tunnel, and send it out the other end, while leaving the front door in the side wall  in the middle of the tunnel, in tact. 
It was quite the eery place, and I didn't like the thought of being so far underground, but I am glad I pulled up my socks and took the tour. 
Once we got inside the bunker, it was quite bright and airy feeling.  This was the first floor underground, and we had four more below us.  I didn't know if I would make it down all found levels, but I did.
We had lots of interesting displays to view and read about as we went further and further underground.

I guess this was high tech stuff at the time.
Yikes!  Sure look complicated doesn't it?
The vault located on the fourth level underground.  Gold bars where  to be stored here in case of an imminent attack.

Decoding machines.
The war room.   The top level had two phones on the table.  One Red and one Blue.  Here we see Paul going for the red phone. 

1 comment:

Lorna said...

As always, you're looking lovely, in this and in the previous posts (the "you" meaning you in this one and "your family" in the other.