Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Holiday Train

What a delight it is to be living in this small town and be part of all the festivities in the area at this time of year. There is something different about a small town spirit and we are enjoying it immensely. The Santa Claus Parade was quite amazing but the visit from the CPR Holiday Train far surpassed even that event.



We have never even heard of the Holiday Train, but it is well known in these parts and people come for all over to greet it and cheer it on. It was a very cold night, so we bundled up in ski suits and heavy boots and set out to take up our spot along the train tracks and await the train. As the time got closer for it's scheduled arrival the crowds got thicker and thicker and it felt like the whole town (all nine thousand of us) were gathered along-side the rails.

I had no idea what to expect about where the train would stop, which side of the tracks I should stand on, what car the show would be on - stuff like that. I just picked a spot and decided to stick with it. I would be able to hear the music wherever I was and hoped I could see some of the show. AC went off down the tracks to see if he could get some clear pictures of the train pulling into town and I told him I would stay by this particular light pole so he could find me during or after the show. We didn't connect again until well after the show had ended. I will let him share all the details of his adventure with you here. He has lots more information on the train on his blog too.

Ok, back to my story, -- wouldn't you know that the train stopped and positioned the show car right in front of me? Yahoo! What luck. I had the most perfect spot to view the whole show. I clapped and danced and had a wonderful time soaking up the holiday cheer and delight the train brought to our town that night.



I took two pictures and my battery light flashed that it was low. Oh no! It was darn cold, I had bulky mitts on, I was in a crowd of people and it was dark. Dare I try to change the battery? No. AC had the better camera for night shots and he was off somewhere merrily taking a kazillion pictures, so I wouldn't bother trying to change my battery. I tucked my camera safely in my mitt and waited for the doors on the show car to roll open and the music to start. Taped Christmas music was blaring from speakers the local radio station had hooked up and the crowd was dancing and singing along while we waited for the real show to begin. Total fun.

The stage opened and as you can see, I was right in front of it. My mind started to whirl. Hmmmmmm? I wonder were AC is? Even if he did get good pictures of the train coming in, he is nowhere in sight now, and I have the perfect spot to get some pictures. Maybe I should try to change the battery. This inner dialogue went on for a few seconds and I finally decided to fumble away in the dark and jostling crown, and change the battery. My fingers got cold in the process, but I did it without dropping anything. Thank goodness. I snapped pictures with abandon and got quite a few. Good thing too, as you will discover when you read AC's blog. Sheesh!

Anyway, we had a grand time and even got a picture or two. Yes, the best laid plans sometimes do go awry, but it all works out in the end, and if it doesn't, it isn't the end yet.

No comments: