Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Molly, Jessie, and Pearl

Molly, Jessie, and Pearl were the best of friends. They grew up together, shared their hopes and dreams as teenagers; attended each other’s weddings; held on to each other when their young husbands marched off to war, rejoiced together when the men all returned safely, gave each other support as young mothers, encouragement as the mothers of teens, and shared in the joys of weddings and grandchildren as they aged together. They never lost contact and were always there for each other. What a rich treasure friendship is.

I am the daughter of Pearl who died on Christmas day, twelve years ago. The busyness of life and geographical distance caused me to lose contact with Aunt Jessie and Aunt Molly after mom’s death. Well, that gap was closed this past weekend, and we all got together for a walk down memory lane. Molly, Jessie, my sister Heather, Jessie’s daughter Sheila (my best friend when I was growing up) and I all gathered at Molly’s house for lunch! What a wonderful time we had. We talked and laughed the afternoon away and lots of hugs were shared all around.

Molly and Jessie are in their mid to late eighties now, and they look marvellous. They are both in good health and are mentally and physically in top form. Neither of them looked a speck older to me. They keep active with their circle of friends and are members of the Red Hat Society. Molly talked about the latest play she had attended, and Jessie doesn’t let any grass grow under her feet either. She had to leave early to attend another party that day. Busy, busy, busy, and active ladies they both are. What a joy to not only walk down memory lane with them, but to talk about current events, learn about the latest books they are reading or who their favourite authors are. These gals are so with it and alive and living every moment of their lives. What a joy to see. I want to be just like them when I grow up!

Sheila and I caught up on family news and exchanged email addresses, so I am sure that notes and letters will be flying fast and furious between us now. The internet makes everyone seem so much closer, and it is so much easier to stay in touch. We promised to write and set dates to get together again soon. Our moms kept contact through the years, and we are determined to renew ties and keep our friendship alive too.

Molly made us a delicious lunch and Jessie helped her serve it. They said that the "girls" - meaning us, the almost 60-year-old-kids - needed to visit and chat. So we sat and talked while "the moms" made and served us lunch. It was such fun. The table was all set with fine china and silverware, and we gathered round it to enjoy a most elegant tea party. Before we sat down at the table Molly brought out her string of pearls and said that mom needed to join us too (my mom's name was Pearl), so she draped a string of pearls over a vase of yellow tulips in the centre of the table (see yellow circle in photo), and she put a book that had belonged to my mom on the sideboard by the dining table. It brought tears to my eyes.

Visiting with these special friends of mom was just like visiting with her. We all felt as if mom was right there with us, and I am sure she was peeking over the clouds at us and had a cup of heavenly tea while we sipped tea from china teacups and talked about old times and enjoyed memories full of her. She felt so close to me that day, and it was very special.

Thank you Molly and Jessie for continuing to mother me and be there for me when my own mom can’t be. You both touched my heart as only a mother can. Heart hugs to both of you. Love Cuppa

7 comments:

Gina said...

The string of pearls and the book brought tears to my eyes, too!

How wonderful to have connected again with that part of your family.

karla said...

What an inspirational story about inspirational women!

Melodee said...

That brought tears to my eyes, too.

Cuppa said...

It just about did me in too. It was such a touching and beautiful gesture.

swamp4me said...

Sounds as if you had a wonderful time. And how wonderful that your aunts are living such full lives!

Pearl was my mother-in-law's name. She was a very special woman -- I am thankful to her each and every day for giving life to her son, my husband.

swamp4me said...

Cuppa, thanks for the snippet of Mary Oliver you left for me. I hope I will be able to find her work and read more.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

What an amazing experience to have. It's so easy to lose touch with friends and family these days, even with the convenience of the internet. It's something you have to work at. Thanks for reminding us of the incredible value of friends and family ties.