Friday, July 08, 2005

Ring those bells

Yesterday, when I heard the news about the bombings in London, I was reminded of the day a few years ago when I was listening to a CBC radio program after a horrible car bombing in Israel. The radio reporter was talking to a Jewish lady about this terrible act and he asked her how she managed to go on with everyday activities and not be paralyzed by fear. She quoted words from a song by Leonard Cohen, and they stopped me in my tracks.

Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That’s how the life gets in.

Leonard Cohen

She said to the reporter, “You Ring the bells that still can ring and you go on. “

I think of the people in London today and send them my thoughts and prayers. My heart hurts for you and I pray that you will be able to ring the bells that still can ring and find the strength and courage to go on.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I don't know exactly who Leonard Cohen is, but those are great lyrics!

Cuppa said...

Leonard Cohen is a Canadian poet really, but he puts his poetry to music and I love it. He has a deep gravely voice that you would remember if you ever heard him sing. You either love him or hate him, and I love him.

Some of his more familiar songs are
"Suzanne", "Bird on a Wire", "I'm Your Man", Dance Me To the End of Love","Hallelujah"

Oh I could go on and on. Let me know if you find him and what you think of him.

Heather Plett said...

Lovely, Cuppa. Thanks for those lyrics. I like Cohen too, but don't hear enough of him.

Madcap said...

You've just reminded me that I've always meant to read Leonard Cohen to really take in his poetry, rather than just listen.

That is so profound - life enters through the cracks and imperfections.

Thanks.