Friday, July 22, 2005

Joy and the sharing of memories

Yesterday was a day of mixed emotions for me. Joy and sorrow all tangled up together but in the end joy outweighed the sorrow.

Let me give you a bit of background before I fill you in on what I did yesterday.

As I sort through all the "treasures" I have collected over the years I have to make tough decisions whether to take the treasure with me or take only the memories and leave the object behind. Handmade items crafted by loved ones who have passed are the hardest ones to part with. Sigh.

One such item that has really tugged at my heart is a rather large craft project my mother made over twenty years ago. I inherited this craft because Lady Bug had a teddy bear collection at one time, and, when my mom died, my sister thought that Lady Bug should have this item that her grandmother made and treasured. Lady Bug is a traveller and she likes to travel light. While she values this item she has no place for it and probably never will.

My mother was a very creative person, and I remember vividly all her forays into different crafts when I was growing up. During the whipped wax candle phase, we peeled wax off almost every surface in the house. The sequin ribbon Christmas trees were another wild craft that got out of hand; we had bits and pieces of sequin ribbon in every nook and cranny in the house. When we cut that stuff it would shoot like shrapnel all over the room. I would go to school with it in my hair and even find it in my sandwich at lunch. Yuck!

Sparkle dust was another dastardly craft item that would get all over everything, and all us kids would sparkle and glisten long before glitter make-up was even thought of. I wonder what the guys at work said to my dad when he showed up with sparkle dust in his moustache?

My mom took great delight in making something out of nothing. If you had to go out and buy expensive material to make a craft then it wasn't nearly as much fun for her, and for much of her married life she never had extra money to buy craft materials. She would collect egg cartons to make wastebaskets, orange juice tins to make pencil holders, plastic bags to make Poodles (don’t' ask), old greeting cards to make bowls, sequin ribbon to make Christmas trees — you get the idea.

Dear mom hated housework but loved to do her crafts and could sit in the middle of the rubble of a messy house and create beauty out of the "trash" she collected. Amazing really, but the messy house drove me crazy even as a kid. I hated the piles of egg cartons piled in the corners awaiting the transformation process and the rolls of plastic, soon to become Poodles, sitting in the middle of the living room floor. She didn't mind it, or didn't see it, I am not sure which, but she had to create and create she did.

One of her creations and the prized craft that we inherited is a Teddy Bear's Picnic made out of bread dough. Yes, bread dough. I don't know how many hours mom spent on this project, but it is an absolutely amazing piece of art. Each piece was painstakingly made out of bread dough, cooked in the oven, hand painted and arranged in this picnic scene. Every blade of grass, bottle of pop, piece of ice, hamburger, hotdog, sandcastle – is made of bread dough. The only things that aren't bread dough are the mirror used for the water, the paper on the kite, the string on the fishing pole, the lace on some of the bears' dresses, and the paper on the finish line sign.



I have had this sitting on a bookcase under a glass cover for thirteen years. Now that we are moving to a much smaller house on the other side of the province I have to decide what to do with this rather large piece of art. It is over twenty years old now, and rather fragile. Would it even take a move across country?

I woke up last week with the bright idea of contacting the Children's library to see if they would accept it as a donation to be displayed there. Yesterday was my appointment with the curator to talk to her about it. With heart beating a little faster, I walked into the library with mom's treasure and wondered what the librarian would think of it. Much to my delight she was absolutely thrilled with it. She took down all sorts of information about it and said she would tour it to all the other libraries in the county – twenty seven in all. I walked out of the library in a swirl of emotions. It made me sad to leave The Teddy Bear's Picnic behind, but I was also full of joy that it would be on display in the Children's library and enjoyed by so many.

We left the library and went down to the Bay for coffee and a few minutes of quiet by the water. I sat there and let the emotions of the day wash over me. I looked up at the sky and thought of mom and how pleased she would be that her work of art would be on display for the children in this area. It felt good and it felt right.

Joy and sorrow all tangled up together, but, in the end, joy outweighed the sorrow. How wonderful when that happens.

11 comments:

karla said...

What a beautiful and touching story. The Teddy Bear Picnic is truly remarkable. I was shocked looking at the detail (there is even mustard on the hotdogs).

Equally impressive is your amazing idea to donate this piece to the library for many others to share in its beauty and uniqueness. Your way of thinking never fails to impress Cuppa.

Cuppa said...

Thanks Karla - the detail is amazing isn't it? The bowl of fruit on the picnic table gets me every time I look at it. The oranges have texture on them just like real oranges do. How she sculpted each tiny piece is beyond me.

You can't see it very clearly on the big picture, but in the bottom left corner on the ground in front of the picnic table she has a basket of cobs of corn, (tassles and all)a bucket of little pop bottles floating in ice and a pail with whole watermelons surrounded in ice chips to keep them cool.

Each bear has a different outfit on and the facial expressions are unique to each one. Some are skipping, others are doing somersaults,handstands, or running races and to think that she formed each piece of bread dough and made each little arm and leg and placed it just so. Boggles my mind it does. I see something new each time I look at it. Even the sandcastles on the beach are all different.

I am so glad that I can share it with other people now. It has sat upon my bookshelf for far too long and I am happy that this move caused me to take action.

Heather Plett said...

Wow! What a great story! And the Teddy Bear picnic is AMAZING! It takes a unique person to have the creativity AND patience for a piece like that! I used to do crafts too (before I got too busy with 3 kids and full time work), but my attention span was pretty short - if I couldn't finish a craft in a day or two, it would never get finished.

I'm so glad to hear that this piece will live on and give lots of children delight in the library.

Iona said...

Wow, that's really nice! And you came up with a wonderful idea! I think your mom would love it too. Now everyone can see her piece of art!

I really love it. So detailed! It suddenly reminded me that I also used to do that when I was young. Mom would make the dough and me and my friends would make something out if it, bake it and paint it! Thanks for the forgotten memory!

Melodee said...

How lovely! I have a crafty mom, too--papers piled up high on the desk and dishes in the sink while she made Christmas ornaments from decoupage and styrofoam balls and napkins! Nothing as cool as the Teddy Bear Picnic, however.

Gina said...

How absolutely lovely The Teddy Bear Picnic is! It reminds me of some of the folk art I've seen on "Antiques Roadshow."

I think it is wonderful that it will now get to be enjoyed by so many people.

I admire artistic people, I have not a bone of art in my body.

Anonymous said...

You may recall two young girls singing that song for a season...

Dora said...

This post just made me feel really good :)

Cuppa said...

Anon - Yes I do. Is that you Maggie Muggins?

Judy said...

What a great post.

I made those plastic poodles one year in Bible school when I was a kid! Now I'm the Bible school "Craft Mom".

I'm waiting for a 'clutter disorder' to be discovered, as I have it, and need help overcoming it!

As I was reading this post, my husband walked by and said 'can't we please get rid of some of this stuff?'

I can't. I NNEEEEEEDD it!

Norma said...

Your mother was very talented. I'm sure all the children will enjoy finding little delightful items. What a treasure!