Wednesday, March 02, 2005

ROARRRRRRRRRR

Yes, I can still hear the echoes of that roar today. March sure came in like a lion didn’t it? My goodness what a storm we had here yesterday and are still having actually. School buses are cancelled in some of the areas near the lake, so you know it is quite a storm when that happens.

I went out to do some errands mid-morning yesterday and had to shovel snow just so I could open the side gate. I was only gone about an hour and I had to force my way in the gate again when I got home. Sheesh! I took time to clear a path to the front door and was soon feeling my back yell at me because the snow was so heavy. Good enough I said and retreated inside the house.

I looked out around suppertime and was discouraged to see the drifts once again piled against the gate and the drive completely snowed in. Huge piles of snow left there by the ploughs blocked the end of the drive, and it was still snowing! Yikes! How in the world would we dig out? I started to make supper, when I heard a knock at the door. I opened the door and there stood two angels in yellow coats. Yes, nothing less than angels in yellow coats. They were also wearing wool toques, but I could see the halos shining through the snow covered wool. These angels were housed in the bodies of twelve-year-old boys holding shovels. They asked me if I wanted my driveway shovelled? Oh I could have hugged and kissed them both.

"Yes," I said enthusiastically. "How much?" The one boy who was doing all the talking looked surprised that I said yes and answered in a shocked voice, “I don’t know.” I told them to get started and I would go look in my purse. I use a debit card all the time, so I don’t usually have much cash on hand. I thanked the heavens above for sending these angels my way as I went scurrying to find my purse to search for money. I found ten dollars, and went back to the front door and said to Angel #1, who was working on the porch, “How about five dollars each to do the drive and the porch?” His eyes lit up and said that would be fine. I also gave him a handful of chocolate Easter bunnies to give them energy as he and his partner worked away in the cold. As I closed the door I heard him call to Angel #2, who was working at the mountain at the end of the driveway, “She gave us five dollars each and some candy too!” His voice was full of excitement and both angels seemed pleased. Not nearly as pleased as I was though, they came straight from heaven to my door that day.

I worked away at making dinner, and just before we sat down to eat the doorbell rang again. The boys were all done and wanted to know if the job was ok. The heavenly beings even did the front sidewalk too. I told them how wonderful I thought they were and the job was great. I asked them to please come back tomorrow if it continued to snow and I would pay them to do it again.

Well it is still snowing this morning, so I hope they do come back, but maybe I will only get one visit from Angels wearng yellow coats this year. I will be thankful for that though and keep my eyes open for what other exciting gifts life sends to my door when I need them.

When life ROARS at you and brings unexpected storms your way I hope you recognize the angels that come into your life during these times and they bring you as much joy as my angels in yellow coats and wool togues brought me yesterday.

I can still hear the echoes of the ROAR today, and the reality of the storm is cold and chilling, but if I listen carefully, on the other side of the roar I can hear the bleating of the Lamb not far off, and know that the storms will pass soon. Listen for those sounds of hope in your storm too. Sometimes you really have to struggle to hear them, but they are there. Shhhhhhh! Listen! Listen!

1 comment:

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I love the imagery of "angels in yellow coats" Here in Florida we don't have snow, but we *do* have hurricanes, after which trees and debris must be cleared, so our angels come with chainsaws and hardhats. *grin*