Thursday, March 31, 2005

Not as young as I used to be…

That really is a silly statement, but it does sum up exactly how I have been feeling for the past little while. Things that I used to take in my stride and do without thinking now require lots of thought and more energy than I have. When did my body get older? How did this happen without me knowing about it? I am still only 18 in my head, but my body is sliding faster and faster towards 60. Yikes! I am not as young as I used to be!

We had a wonderful weekend with both girls and their partners home for my birthday and Easter, but the late nights and early mornings just about did me in.

Daughter #1 (Butterfly) arrived home around 1am Wednesday night (Thursday morning), and we stayed up until almost 3am talking and visiting. We had redecorated the guest room, her old room, and surprised her with it. It is now done in pale blue and white which is quite the change from black and white and red!!!!! Anyway, we talked and laughed and visited into the wee small hours of the morning. I was still up early the next morning to prepare for the arrival of Daughter #2 (still haven’t decided on a blog name for her, but she is thinking about it) that day. We enjoyed visiting with Butterfly and her hubby all day and then she went off to visit friends for the evening while we went to pick up Daughter #2 and her partner at the bus station. This involved a two-hour round trip for us. We got home around 9pm and stayed up talking till about 2am. At this point I was beyond tired and fell into bed exhausted. I am normally in bed around 10pm and sleep soundly till 8 or 9 in the morning. Yes I need lots of sleep.

We were up early again the next morning and so it went for the whole weekend. We tried to jam pack it and make the most of every minute. I sure didn’t want to go to bed and miss a minute of visiting. We did have a wonderful visit and made lots of wonderful memories, but when Daughter #1 left on Monday I tidied up the kitchen and then toddled off to bed for a nap!!!! When I got up a couple of hours later I thought I would check blogs and maybe do some writing, but I couldn’t think straight. It was a struggle to put two words together so I gave up and did things that didn’t require much thinking. Time to wash bedding, get the house tidied up, grocery shop, do errands, ride the bike, go for walks and oh yes – sleep!!!!!

Here it is Thursday and I think I am finally getting back into the swing of things. I spent a glorious morning reading blogs, catching up on email and now I am trying to prime the pump and write. I still don’t have much sparking in the old grey matter, but at least I have written something and am getting back into the groove.

The wind is howling around the house this morning and the sky is clouding over so I think we are in for a dandy storm. Yahoo! I love spring thunderstorms. The tornado watches that come our way from time to time in the spring aren’t fun, but I do love a good thunder and lightening storm.

Well, it is almost noon, so I will end this little note here and post it and then go meet AC in the kitchen for lunch. Maybe we will even be able to squeeze in a walk before the rain hits.

I hope you all enjoy whatever Mother Nature brings your way today. Sunshine or raindrops; soak then both in and enjoy.

Were all the year one constant sunshine, we should have no flowers. All would be drought and leanness; not a tree would make us bowers; beauty consists in colours; and that's best which is not fixed, but flies and flowers.
Henry Vaughan

2 comments:

Lynn said...

It is great to see you back.

I'll be glad when May gets here and the leaves come out on the trees. Until then it's all concrete and steel.

Ride that storm out and enjoy.

Gina said...

Glad to have you back, Cuppa!

So happy to hear that a good time was had by all!

I need lots of sleep too, but with Mr. Personality, I rarely get it anymore. Suffice it to say, when he naps, I am right there with him!