Thursday, November 25, 2004

First Snow Fall

What a treat to wake up and see sunshine on fresh fallen snow this morning. Absolutely beautiful after the dull rainy weather we had yesterday. It was so blustery and wet we didn’t even get out for a walk yesterday, and I went to bed late last night to the sound of wind howling around the house and icy rain hitting the windows. BRRRR!

All is quiet this morning though. There is something magical in the first snowfall isn’t there? Do you remember the wonder of it when you were a kid? I do. Waking up to the blanket of white making the whole world seem fresh and new. It not only looked new, but it smelled new and sounded different too. The old neighbourhood got a facelift and became a winter wonderland of activity for us.

We had a big hill right beside our house and we could hardly wait to get the sleighs out and play on that hill. All the other kids in the neighbourhood gathered at the hill too and we laughed and giggled and yelled and screamed as we flew down and trudged up the hill until our legs wouldn’t carry us one more step. Our feet would be cold and wet, our snow pants soggy, and our mitts soaked through but we would go for just one more slide down before going home That hill seemed like a mountain when I was a kid. The biggest hill in the world for sure. When I look at it as an adult now, it is a very little hill, but still a mountain in my memory.

When I looked out the window and saw the snow this morning I was placed on top of that mountain of memories and could smell those wet woollen mitts, taste the snow, hear the kids laughing, feel the wind on my face and see the side door of my house offering warmth and a retreat from the cold. I jumped on my imaginary sleigh and flew down the mountain just like I used to do as a kid. Wheeeee! What a fun ride.

Ahhhh the joys of the first snowfall. Grab your sleigh and come join me on top of Memory Mountain. Hop on and hold on tight – here we go. Wheeeeee!



1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

Let's slide together.