Friday, February 10, 2006

There is now Here...

Ahhh, that's better. I am once again sitting it the little corner of the world I call Riverwood. Gloryoski!

Day Two…

I rolled out of bed around 8am this morning and the air was chill outside the sleeping bags, but the view outside each window warmed my heart and I just couldn't go back to bed. Snow was gently falling, dressing all the trees in a fresh white outfit for the day. I scurried to a corner of the bedroom to find my outfit for the day too. I quickly donned my old navy-blue fuzzy track pants, paired them with a maroon turtle neck shirt then finished off the ensemble with my cozy olive-green velour jacket. Not a glamorous outfit by any stretch of the imagination, but textures, colours, fabrics and styles all met one criterion — warm and comfortable — and that is all that matters up here at the farm on a cold February morning.

All decked out in my "fashion statement" I am now snuggled down in my writing corner with my second cup of coffee and have a quiet morning stretching out in front of me like a clean white page to write anything I want upon. Oh joy!

The sun is shining brightly on new fallen snow this morning and it is absolutely beautiful. From my vantage point here on the couch in the front room I can see right down Welcome Lane to the old gate by the road and the shadows in the snow all along the drive make interesting patterns that capture my imagination and make it hard to tear my gaze away from the window to concentrate on writing this note. The sky has cleared and we are being treated to an icy blue dome overhead, and brilliant white blankets sprinkled with diamonds, fluffed up on the fields all around the old farmhouse. Awesome!

We got here around 1pm yesterday and spent most of the afternoon cleaning and getting settled in. The dust bunnies sure multiply when no one is here to make them behave themselves. They cavort with the dog hair and make playful gatherings in all the nooks and crannies on the floor while cobwebs add lacy decorations to lamps, curtains and corners near the ceiling. I took broom in hand soon after we arrived and tackled these celebrations high and low, then dusted counters and cupboards while AC unloaded the car, then put the vacuum together and vacuumed carpets and wood floors under beds, couches and chairs. We were worn out by the time all that was done but AC noticed the wonderful twilight shadows on the snow so went out to the lane to take some pics in the fleeting light. I stayed inside to make our bed and unpack clothes before I crashed on the couch. My back was complaining by the time I had the last item dealt with, so I just curled up and read last night. No evening snowshoe walks on our first night here, but the next day held great promise for a morning one.

Day Three…

It is now day three and time to post a short note. This slow dial-up connection makes it a bit of a challenge to post a picture or two, but we took lots of pictures on our walk yesterday and I just have to try to share a couple with you.

Yes, we did get out for a wonderful snowshoe walk yesterday and it was grand and glorious indeed. In the first picture you can see one of the old barns on the property viewed through the trees along the south trail.



When we got deeper into the woods we came upon this clearing which we think was as old meander of the river and is now a Sny or Oxbow. It is very swampy in here during the summer months, but makes for a beautiful winter walk.



We were out for about an hour yesterday and that was long enough for our first trek. It takes awhile to get the old legs used to the different gait you need on snowshoes. The muscles are rested and ready to go again now after a night's rest, so it is time to make some lunch and then hit the trails.

I'll write again later. Hope you are enjoying this fine February day and get a chance to walk in the sunshine.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I'm glad to hear you finally made your trip. The place, as usual, sounds delightful even though it seems a bit too much like roughing it for a city guy like me.

I hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable. Have fun, and thanks for sharing the pictures.