Friday, October 21, 2005

Brain Drain

I was reading Heather's blog the other day and her first paragraph described perfectly what I am going through. She said...

I’m suffering from brain drain these days. My brain seems incapable of focusing on anything for longer than a few seconds. I’ve tried to write a few posts, but abandoned them when I couldn’t get anywhere. So here are a few random thoughts to fill up the spaces while I attempt to re-ignite my brain.

So, while I try to re-ignite my brain too, here are a few random thoughts.

New Pot Trauma
As you can probably tell from the lack of blogs these days, I am going through a bit of transplantation wilt in my "new pot". rrrriiiippppp will explain the pot I am talking about.

The cardboard is all gone, the soil is new, the pot is pretty and the windowsill in this corner of the country is wonderful, but I am feeling lost and uprooted and can't quite settle into any sort of routine. I sit down to write and have to fight the urge to jump up and work on some house project that still needs tending to. I pick up a book and find that I have to read the same paragraph over and over again because I am reading the words but my mind is elsewhere.

My pen and ink journal is getting a lot of use these days, but the laptop gathers dust. I need the feel of the pen in my hand and the sound of the nib scratching across the paper. There is magic in that combination and I sure need that magic right now. I am hoping that it will sooth my raw torn root ends so they can heal and start to take in the nutrients from this new soil. In the meantime I will continue to be patient with myself and give myself time to adjust to this new window sill.

Thanksgiving
I am happy to report, that we had the kids home for Thanksgiving and I found everything I needed to cook the turkey with all the trimming! That was a major step in the right direction even if I took a few steps in the wrong direction trying to find the turkey baster and other odds and ends that aren't used every day. It was great to have the family home and all sit around the dining room table to enjoy a meal together in our new house. The kitchen here is much smaller, but the dining room is bigger, so we all have lots of elbow room when we gather 'round the table.

We had Thanksgiving dinner here on Saturday, and then we drove to Riverwood for another dinner with my sister and her family on Sunday. The trees were all decked out in their most colourful dresses and paraded their glory on each hill and valley all along the route there. What a glorious drive we had. Once we got there we gathered 'round the old kitchen table and feasted on turkey dinner in the cozy country farmhouse, and then walked along leaf carpeted trails in the woods after dinner. It was fabulous.

Pretty in Pink
I stood in the kitchen yesterday morning waiting for the coffee to drip into the pot. Ahhh, anticipation. The fragrance was delicious and I could hardly wait to get my hands on a fresh hot mug of the brew. Nothing quite like that first cup on a cold autumn morning. I wandered from window to window to check out the day, while I waited for the last drop of coffee to drip into the pot. Finally it was ready and I grabbed my favorite mug and eagerly poured myself a steaming cup. The house was cold, so I wrapped my fingers tightly around the mug to capture all the heat, and with cup in hand I padded back over to the front window to drink in the view while I sipped my hot coffee. Bright pink Impatients surrounded the base of our tree on the front lawn, and they were a sight to behold. Each plant was bursting with colour and full of blooms. Oh so pretty in pink.

We had frost last night! I looked out the same window this morning and was shocked to see that every plant was dead. Not a speck of colour anywhere. What a difference a day makes. I am so glad I took the time to look out the window yesterday morning and enjoy the beauty offered while it was still here. There is a lesson here for all of us.

On the road again
AC's back has been feeling better so we decided to try a short bike ride yesterday. Oh glory, how fabulous to get back out on the road again. We only did 10k's, but it was a great ride. It is -2 out there this morning, but the sun is shining so we might get out on the bike paths again today.

.....I only got this far this morning when AC came upstairs to tell me the sun was shining, it was a cold but glorious day and he felt his back was up to another bike ride, so the laptop got pushed aside and out we went. We did 20k's along beautiful country roads and AC's old back is still ok. Yahoo.

Company's coming
It is now 8pm and AC is busy in the kitchen making Sweet Potato soup. We are having company for dinner tomorrow night, so he is getting a head start on the feast by making the soup tonight. AC makes the best sweet potato soup you ever tasted - roasted sweet potatoes, fresh ginger, cumin, cloves, orange zest and sour cream. Yum, yum, yum!

Date at the Theatre
Dale over at Musings and Meanderings makes live local theatre sound like so much fun we thought we just had to try it, so when we saw an add for a local little theatre production we ordered tickets and will go to see Sleuth put on by the Barn Door Theatre company tomorrow night. Sounds like fun huh?

ipod debate
I say keep the ipod AC.

Our Song
AC posted our song on his blog and I must tell you that it melts my heart each time I hear it. I remember vividly the first time I heard it. I was busy in my studio working away on something, and AC brought his walkman to me and asked me to listen to this song.

He said "Every time I hear this song I think of you and I wanted to share it with you." I stopped what I was doing and sat back with the earphones on and listened. It made me cry and still does. Love ya AC!!!

Well folks, I guess that's it for tonight. I hope you all have a great weekend. Walk in the sunshine, share a song with a loved one and take time to drink in the beauty all around you while it is there.

7 comments:

Heather Plett said...

Oh Cuppa - I was so happy to see you'd posted again! I've missed you and was wondered where you'd gone :-) I can totally understand that uprooted feeling - it always happens to me after a major change.

Glad to hear you've been out biking. I've kinda whimped out lately, since it's getting a little nippy, and there always seems to be an accompanying wind around here.

Melodee said...

I have no doubt that you will bloom where you've been planted. :) I was happy to see a new post from you.

Gina said...

Thanks for the post, Cuppa!

And, let's see about sharing that recipe, eh?

methatiam said...

Glad to hear Thanksgiving was good. I’m trying to prepare for ours, but my back is out now, so maybe I can follow AC’s progress and it will start to go away soon! Missed your postings, too, by the way, though my brain has drained into my back, it hurts to sit at the PC now, so I haven’t written for a while.

Dale said...

Welcome back, Cuppa. I'd almost given up on you. Sorry! Yes, it is a huge adjustment to move to a new home in a new town. But you will adjust. I promise.
And how was the play? Tell. Tell.

Bonita said...

I hope he keeps the I-pod. Music can bring us back to life.

Linda said...

"I am so glad I took the time to look out the window yesterday morning and enjoy the beauty offered while it was still here. There is a lesson here for all of us."
Amen to that. I know that *I* tend to hurry past beauty on my way to "important" stuff and then I miss so much. Thanks for the beautiful and inspiring post.