Thursday, December 01, 2005

Santa and Sunshine arrived this morning…

December 1st, time to start opening the Advent Calendar. Oh joy! The big box of gifts has been sitting on the kitchen floor just under the wall hanging for over a week now and it has been oh so hard to keep my "sticky little fingers" out of it. I wanted to poke and squeeze and shake a few of the parcels, but managed to control myself and didn't even touch one, let alone shake or squeeze any of them.

I felt like it was Christmas Eve last night when I anticipated this morning and the fact that the Advent Calendar awaited. Visions of sugar plumbs were indeed dancing in my head. What fun!

I awoke to sunshine this morning and it was such a welcome sight after a couple of days of steady rain. The house was bright but cold, so I grabbed a snugly robe and toddled off downstairs to the kitchen to turn the coffee pot on. After I started the coffee and it was fragrantly dripping into the pot I went straight over to the calendar and found the gift marked "1". I gave it a squeeze as I took it out of the box and carried it and the quotes for the day over to the counter. Now that I could open it, I wanted to draw it out and enjoy it as long as I could. AC had to be there too, so I called him to the kitchen. He opened the quote for the day and treat that I had sent to the girls for their calendar, and I opened the surprise that Butterfly had sent to me. What fun to not know what was there for me.

We opened the notes and then I tried to guess what was in the parcel before I opened it. Poke, poke, squeeze, shake. Oh, I know what it is, a spool of ribbon. Wrong! I open the paper to find Santa smiling out at me, and he was offering me a sweet treat. It was a small box of chocolates. Cute huh?



I declined the sweet treat because I hadn't had breakfast yet, but he is sitting on the tea cart now, and I will indulge in his sweet treat with my afternoon tea.



My thought for the day from Butterfly was a line from a song "City sidewalks, busy sidewalks" Ah yes, that does stir up all sorts of happy memories of this season and the hustle and bustle that goes with it.

I sent this quote to the girls, and the novelty that accompanied it was a small Christmas gift box ornament. You can see it beside Santa in the first picture.

"Everyone has inside him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"
Anne Frank

This month as you are busy hunting for the perfect gift for loved ones, remember to look inside yourself to find that piece of good news hidden there and give yourself the gift of belief in your potential this year. Have fun.

Well, I hope you enjoyed sharing the advent calendars with me today.

Look for the good news inside yourselves today too and present yourself with that gift of belief in yourself.

4 comments:

Dora said...

Let me be the first to wish you a Happy Advent and to request that you share each new day with us.
I wanna know what you get....and pictures would be most appreciated :)

Heather Plett said...

Hey, thanks for sharing your first Advent morning with us :-) I've decided I'm doing something similar for the girls in their calendars. I'm including little notes encouraging them to extend the generosity they've received to others (like sometimes they're getting TWO sweet treats and the note encourages them to give one away).

Cuppa said...

Thanks WL. I will do my best to post a picture each day to let you know what else is in the box.

Heather - how neat that you are taking this idea and using it with your girls. The treats are nice to get, but I think my girls look forward to the quotes and notes more than anything, and the challenges there will be remembered long after the treats are gone. Have fun with yours and let me know what other challenges you give your girls through the month. I can always use the new ideas.

Iona said...

Wow, love the seasonal template!!!
Hapy Advent and have great fun with the Calendar. I agree with Wash Lady, pictures would be nice!