Thursday, May 26, 2005

Lilac Memories




We took our bikes out for a spin today and managed to clock 71k's. It was grand and glorious indeed. The sun was shining, the air warm,the winds gentle and we were given the gift of fragrant lilacs all along our country route.

Anvilcloud has posted some pictures of the route we took and other flowering trees we saw along the way. Go and have a peek here.

Drinking in the fragrance up close


Lilacs hold such sweet memories for me. My childhood home had a huge hedge of lilacs all along the border of the property and whenever I catch their scent now, I am taken right back to those wonderful May childhood days.

I cannot see or smell lilacs without thinking of my mother. She loved the flowers and told me many times how the church was full of fresh cut lilacs the day she was married - May 27th - and everybody at the wedding commented on the marvellous fragrance.

Memories are not glass treasures to be kept locked in a box.
They are bright ribbons to be hung in the wind.

Morgan Leah-Shamara

I took all of my bright ribbon memories out of their boxes as I pedalled along today and let them blow in the fragrant lilac wind. It was a totally awesome day!

4 comments:

Heather Plett said...

OOOOhhhh!!! I absolutely LOVE lilacs! There are lots of childhood associations linked to lilacs for me too.

Here's a quote from The Color Purple that seems appropriate: "I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it."

I think it pisses God off if we walk by lilacs and don't notice :-)

Cuppa said...

Heather
I agree. Aside from the beauty of the flower, the fragrance reaches out and grabs you, shakes you up and says stop and look at the beauty all around you.

Butterfly
Yes it is stunning isn't it? Bushes like that adorned the route all the way out and back. The air was saturated with their fragrance too. It was an amazing ride.

Melodee said...

Gorgeous! Looks like you live next door to heaven. Do you?

Cuppa said...

Yesterday I felt like I did!