Sunday, November 12, 2006

Granny's Meme

Maya's Granny tagged me with this Movie meme, so let's see what I can do with it on this lazy Sunday Morning.

1. Popcorn or candy?
Popcorn, popcorn, popcorn, without a doubt. I can have a big dinner, feel fuller than full but still devour a bag of popcorn at the movies. We have a rather delightful little movie theatre in our small town that AC and I enjoy going to. It is in the basement of an old church and has a quaint air about it. AC wrote about it here. The popcorn there is the best, the absolute very best. I was amazed when I ordered my first bag of popcorn and asked for butter on it. The man behind the counter grabbed a glass coffee pot full of melted butter and poured a more than generous amount of the liquid gold over my popcorn. Wow, no modern contraptions that gives you a little squirt of butter here and there! Real butter, melted in a coffee pot, kept warm on the heating element, then poured liberally over my popcorn. Oh so yummy.

2. Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.
Schindler's List! I have a hard time watching movies about the holocaust. They hurt my heart and haunt my dreams for a long time after I have seen them so I stay away from them. I had to leave the room during Sophie's Choice and have never finished it. I just couldn't watch it. So many people tell me that I must see Schindler's List though, so I plan on renting it sometime in the future, but each time I pick it up I end up putting it back on the shelf.

3. You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?
Denzel Washington would lose his for TRAINING DAY, and Russell Crow would get it for BEAUTIFUL MIND.

4. Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe. Which will it be?
The gown Audrey Hepburn wore to the grand ball in MY FAIR LADY.
I also remember the dress Carol Burnett wore with the curtain rod still in the shoulders and that would be a close second. Ha ha! The Carol Burnett Show was so funny wasn't it?

5. Your favorite film franchise is...
The Lord of the Rings by far!

6. Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?
Oh darn, I just put my list together of the five people I would like to invite for dinner and then I saw it was "movie" people. Drat! I think my original list would be more fun.
Here is my movie list, but I will give you my original list too.

Movie list - Oprah, she has a great sense of humour and would be a hit at any dinner party I am sure; George Clooney because he just seems like a nice guy to be around and a natural conversationalist; Brenda Bletham and Helen Mirren because I admire their work and would love to meet them, and lastly Emma Thompson because I would love to ask her about her castle. Poor George would be outnumbered wouldn't he? I am sure he wouldn't mind though.

My regular list - My maternal grandmother because I have so many questions I would like to ask her now that I am going to be a grandma for the first time,(she would also want to help me with the cooking), Jon Stewart because I think he would make the evening very lively and fun, my sister Heather because she is such a great story teller, AC because he is my favourite person to do anything with, and last but not least, Lynn over at State Street because he is one of the first people I met out in blogdom and I would like to meet him in person. He sounds like such an interesting person. Actually I would like to invite a lot of friends from blogdom to dinner, but Lynn gets the nod this time.

I would serve fondue at either party because you do a lot more talking than eating when you serve fondue.

7. What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theatre?
A ringing in their ears that only they can hear and which won't go away each time they need some peace and quiet.

8. Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days.
I only know Mystique, so I would have to chose her.

9. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?
I have to change to a TV program not a movie for this one. It was something I saw on Twilight Zone when I was a kid. A young girl was in bed and when she rolled over and touched the wall beside her bed she rolled right into another world. I stayed clear of the wall next to my bed after that, and to this day I don't like to touch the wall when I am sleeping. I am sure it has something to do with that show I watched those many years ago.

10. Your favorite genre (excluding comedy and drama) is?
I like Good science fiction/fantasy like The Lord of The Rings too, but what I usually hanker for is a devilishly intriguing British mystery.

11. You are given the power to green-light movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?
I would outlaw car chases of any kind!!
I would insist that the actors playing an intelligent roll wouldn't insult my intelligence by doing stupid things that a person with half a brain wouldn't even think of doing. That is so annoying!
I would also insist that the casting departments use people that look like everyday people – warts and all.

12. Bonnie or Clyde?
I saw the movie but it was a long time ago and don't remember much about it. I guess it didn't make a very great impression on me.

13: Who are you tagging to answer this survey:
Anyone who has the time or inclination to have some fun with it.

7 comments:

Mary said...

speaking of emma tompson, we just saw 'stranger then fiction' with her,will ferrel, maggie gyllenhaal, and dustin hoffman. ben and i, along with some friends of ours, thought it was a great movie! funny...cute...

you guys should see it.

missing you and hoping we'll see you over xmas break! we only have THREE more weeks of school and then exams! it is crazy how fast time is moving these days!

lots of love.mary.

Cuppa said...

Hi Mary - nice to hear from you. It is just about time for a yummy bag of popcorn, so we will keep our eyes open for that movie at our little theatre.

Just three more week until exams? Yikes - Christmas is coming soon isn't it? Don't know if we will make to Riverwood over the Christmas break or not, but if we do, hope to see you there. I love, love, love Riverwood during the winter. Heaven on earth!

Anonymous said...

Count me in and thanks for the invitation.

Heather Plett said...

Oh I feel the same way about Shindlers List. I know I should watch it, but I've resisted every time. Hotel Rwanda is another one like that for me.

Maya's Granny said...

In Alaska, before video tapes, all the smaller towns rented movies to be shown in the church basement. That limited what people in those towns got to see. Now they don't even do that, but people can buy or rent any movie they want.

Cathy said...

Cuppa, Here's what you do with Schindler's List: You fast forward to the end of the movie - then back it up to the credits as the roll over a scene of people who he saved filing through the cemetery to lay a stone on his gravesite. That's all you need to see. (I never saw Sophie's Choice, or like Heather - Ruwanda - I can't - I won't)

Cuppa said...

Cathy - thanks for the tip. I will let you know if and when I try it.

I haven't seen Hotel Rawanda either and don't think I ever will. Pictures from news papers haunt my dreams and hurt tear at my heart. I couldn't watch a movie, I just couldn't.