Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Feeling on top of the world, now that "it's" at the bottom of the pile…

We enjoyed a beautiful spring like day yesterday so we took advantage of this most delightful and unexpected gift, and went out to play in the sunshine. What fun to luxuriously soak in the warm sunny rays being sent our way by Old Man Sol. It was grand and glorious indeed.

This morning though, we were greeted with rain clouds and sprinkles. Ah, the variety only makes life more interesting because each day has its own distinct beauty. One means more walking, the other more writing. Each makes the other more enjoyable.

Speaking of variety and beauty, I want to thank you all for your comments on my struggle with One Hundred Years of Solitude. Should I try to read it again, or just give it up as a lost cause? Hmmmm?

After AC read my blog yesterday he came into my room and said "You're not really going to try to read that book again are you?"

"Well, I was thinking of it" I replied meekly.

AC shook his head and went on his way. I am sure he was thinking "crazy woman", but he didn't say anything.

I haven't touched the book since getting home from my book club meeting, but it is still sitting on the table here beside my favourite chair. Said table is piled high with other books calling my name, and I just got a message from the library informing me that two other books I asked them to track down for me are in and awaiting pick-up. So many books, so little time!

Here beside me I have - Deafening by Francis Itani; Wake up Laughing by Pat Schneider; A Short History of Indians in Canada by Thomas King; Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach; Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee; Walking in this World by Julia Cameron; and The Call by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. Novel, short stories, biography, poetry, travel journal and creativity workbook – I am itching to read them all

So, I am going to scratch that most delicious itch instead of picking away at the annoying one called One Hundred Years of Solitude. Marquez's book is being moved to the bottom of the pile right now! Maybe if I give it a few hundred days (or months) of solitude I might want to touch it again, but somehow I don't think so.

Ahhhh, I feel better already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you on putting "Solitude" aside. Sometimes it's really not worth the hassle to force-feed ourselves books. This afternoon, I'm relaxing with John Grisham's "The Innocent Man". Why not?

BTW, your layout is beautiful! And such a color! Did you design?

Peace,

Thailand Gal
~*~*

Cuppa said...

TG - glad you like the layout. Pretty huh? AC designed it for me. He is the computer whiz in the family.

Enjoy your Grisham book.

Anonymous said...

Life is too short to read a book you don't enjoy just because other people did. Give it away and forget about it.