Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ottawa River Parkway Bike Path

Time to put my birthday gift to good use. The Boy put the bike carrier on the car for us this past weekend, so today was the day to figure out how to get the bikes on it and go in search of some new bike trails.




It took us awhile to figure out the best fit for the bikes, but once we did, all I had to do was make one small adjustment and we were ready to go. Yahoo!


We packed a picnic lunch so enjoyed munching delicious whole grain pitas stuffed with lettuce and cheese at this beautiful park at the start of the trail.



While we munched our lunch, Mr and Mrs. Duck enjoyed a delicious snack too. I couldn't resist taking a picture of them shaking a tail feather.



Once we had been fortified we started our adventure, and enjoyed a most delightful ride on this fabulous path all along the edge of the Ottawa River. You can see Quebec on the other side of the water.



We pedalled along the water's edge all the way to the Parliament Buildings in downtown Ottawa.



A thoroughly enjoyable and beautiful ride.



This was our turn-a-round point for today. A park bench in a shady spot by one of the locks on the Rideau Canal in downtown Ottawa. You can be sure that we will be riding this trail again real soon. What a treat it was for the body and soul today.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for the ride along, Cuppa! I needed that.

Heather Plett said...

Lovely! I think I need to bring my bike to Ottawa some day! I have walked part of that trail by the Pariament Buildings.

Cathy said...

That is so pretty. It must be so nice to have a safe lovely place to drift (or pedal) through Spring. How far are you biking? (Oh, yes - when do we get to see some Tai Chi photos?)

karla said...

Yes, that scenery looks familliar to me too. That was the same path I walked the last time I visited beautiful Ottawa.

Cuppa said...

Mary - I am so glad you could join me for the ride. I needed it too. Today was spent helping Butterfly with the baby, but yesterday was a great day to ride. Tomorrow we hope to get out on the wheels again.

Heather - Oh yes do. I wonder if you could rent one - hmmmmm? Must look into that for future company.

Cathy - It sure does take the stress off to have a traffic free space to bike on. We had a nice bike trail in Sarnia, but this one is much nicer and longer. We must get a map to see how extensive it is and how far we can go on it.

Yesterday our trip was about 33K's round trip.

Oh, Tai Chi photos? I will have to look into that!

Karla - Yep, our turn-around point was right behind the Parliament Buildings, so you probably were on that very same part of the path. Ottawa is criss-crossed with many bike paths, and we hope to pedal along most of them this summer.

Cathy said...

wow. 33 Kilometers. That's more than a walk in the park!