Monday, July 25, 2005

Grilled cheese and the Cosmic Dance

We have the best neighbours in the world and I will miss them dearly when we move.

On the south side we have a young family; mom and dad, oldest child, a daughter, just going into grade nine this year and young son going into grade six. This couple lives across the driveway from us and has a bird's eye view of all the comings and going at our side door, so they keep and eye on the house for us when we travel. Their young daughter brings in the mail, waters my hanging baskets and keeps the front of the house looking clean and tidy while we are away. That is no small task when we are gone for a month at a time. In the winter she shovels the walk and makes foot prints to the side door to make it look like people are home. What a gem she is. I have watched her grow into a charming young lady and will miss seeing her go off to high school this fall.

On the north side we have a single mom with three delightful daughters. We don't see them as often as our, across the drive neighbours just because of the position of our doors. But the young girls visit me from time to time.

Both moms work outside the home full time and have a lot on their plates at home and at work. I stand amazed at these women and all they have to do each day. Both of them went back to school after their kids went to school full time and managed, house, home, kids and school. One is now a registered nurse and the other a professional business woman. My hat is off to both of these amazing women. Not only did they reach for their personal dreams, but they raised amazing kids in the meantime.

Because we are retired and home most of the time, we are the neighbours they call on if they need help. I have met the school bus, made after school treats for the kids when mom has been delayed, played host to the kids on PA days when other arrangements couldn't be made and just generally been there when they needed me.

The little girls to the north of us quite often have friends over for sleep-overs and other things and when they do they bring their friends over to say hello to me. I keep a bowl of treats at the front door for just such times. Maybe a candy necklace (the ones with pastel candy discs strung on a piece of elastic) or some other fun treat that mom might not buy for them. Because we don't have family in the area, I always considered these kids on both sides of us as my stand-in grandkids. They sit at my kitchen table and sip chocolate milk from a teacup while I sip tea from mine and listen to their stories.

The other day a knock came to the front door and it was the middle girl from the house to the north of us. She is in grade 10 this year and on this day was babysitting her younger sister while mom was at work. She told me she wanted to make grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, but mom had forgotten to buy cheese, so could she borrow some cheese to make her sandwich. I gave her my chunk of cheese and told her to use what she needed and bring the rest back. Five minutes later she was at the front door with the bag in hand.

"Did you have enough?" I asked as she handed me the bag.

"Yes" she said "Thank you. Now can I ask you for one more thing?"

"Sure" I said. "What?"

"Can I borrow some bread?!!!!"

As soon as the words were out of her mouth she burst out laughing. I started to laugh too. What a hoot. It was just too funny that she started to make grilled cheese sandwiches without any bread or cheese!!!

"Do you need butter too?" I asked.

"No" she spluttered

I am laughing again as I type this. I sure will miss these kids when we move. A house is just a house and we will make the new one our cozy home, no matter how small and different it might be, but I will miss these "grand-children of the heart". What a joy they have been to me.

"When we are alone on a starlit night, when by chance we see the migrating birds in autumn descending on a grove of junipers to rest and eat; when we see children in a moment when they are really children, when we know love in our own hearts; or when, like the Japanese poet, Basho, we hear an old frog land in a quiet pond with a solitary splash- at such times the awakening, the turning inside out of all values, the "newness" the emptiness and the purity of vision that make themselves evident, all these provide a glimpse of the cosmic dance."
Thomas Merton

Children being children do provide a glimpse of the cosmic dance. What a gift.

4 comments:

Melodee said...

And what a gift you were to them.

Gina said...

Yes, I echo Mel in that they are going to miss you as much as you are going to miss them!

There is a lovely lady in our little community who positively dotes on Mr. Personality, and I am so touched that she is so kind to him.

It means a lot to us parents of young ones to know that in a pinch, there is someone that could take care of them if needed.

Heather Plett said...

I wish I had YOU for a neighbour! My kids could use an extra grandparent too! (Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't mind a neighbour who'd lend me cheese and bread when I run out!)

Our neighbours are all pre-kids, so don't have as much patience as the post-kid kind.

Anonymous said...

She is pretty AMAZING!

I would know as I am one of those neighbour girls, and as much as I dont want to admit it, I am the grilled cheese girl.

She is pretty much THE BEST neighbour in the world and I miss her dearly!

<3