Thursday, March 23, 2006

Surprises continue…

Tuesday morning I stumbled down to the kitchen for my first cup of java and found my Tuesday birthday treat wrapped up and sitting on the counter waiting for me; a new k.d. lang CD – Hymns of the 49th Parallel. Her rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is fabulous and I had mentioned to AC that I wanted to get this CD. I am really liking this birthday week idea.

It was another very cold day and we had line dancing that night, so we refrained from going for a walk in the icy blast. We drove, instead of walking, to Tim's, purchased a café mocha and took it down to the water's edge to enjoy there along with the beauty of the day. The air was cold, but the car was warm and toasty, the sky blue, the water full of that blue reflection and the shore was lined with lots of returned Canada Geese. We had fun watching their antics while we soaked up the sunshine and sipped our coffee.

Then it was time to head home and get ready for line dancing that night. Yes, we are still lovin' those classes. They are lots of fun and good exercise. Later, I was busy putting on my dancin' shoes at the club, when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and there stood Butterfly and The Boy. It took me a second or two to compute what they were doing standing there. Butterfly gave me a hug and said "Happy birthday mom. We came to dance the night away with you guys as a little birthday surprise for you." Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

The music started for the first dance and Butterfly and The Boy got up and did the routine like they had been doing it all their lives. Song number two started and they did that one with us too. What was going on here? Then it struck me. AC had been going over to Butterfly's house to give her Photoshop lessons over the past couple of weeks. Oh sure! No, no, no, they had been having dance lessons, not Photoshop lessons. What a hoot.

It was great to have them there and meet all of our friends. At the end of the evening Butterfly said she would pick me up the next night (Wednesday) around 6 pm because she was taking me out for dinner, just the two of us for a girl's night out. Whoohoo! This is great.

True to her word she was at my door at 6 last night and we set off for a fun night out. We ended up at a unique pub located on the shores of the Unmighty Mississippi. The building used to be an old mill so it had lots of character and charm. We got a table by the window and watched the river flow past us while we feasted on grilled chicken, fresh multigrain rolls and sweet potato fries. Scrumptious.

So the party continues. Getting older isn't bad at all. The trick is to get older without getting old!!!! My sister sent me this quote the other day and for some reason it came to mind when I typed this last line, so I'll share it with you.

I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing.
(Hillel)

Yep, you gotta keep dancin'. Listen for the music in your life today and move your heart to it.

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

No one dances like you, old girl.

Linda said...

I purchased k.d. lang's "Songs of the 49th Parallel" some time ago, after I heard her sing "Hallelujah." I just love that CD but haven't listened to it in a while. I think I'll dig it out and have a listen this afternoon.

Heather Plett said...

Sounds like you're having quite a week! AND it sounds like you're discovering lots of interesting places to visit in the area. Marcel and I are thinking of taking the girls to Ottawa for summer vacation this summer - we may have to ask you for a list of recommendations!

Mary said...

HEY HEY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! sounds like you are having a fun week. i miss you and ac. ben and i have to come up soon and go dancing!!! we'll have to chat about a good time to come! talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

Do you suppose next year will warrant a whole month of treats and surprises?

Cuppa said...

AC - thanks hunny.

Linda - mine has been playing non-stop since Monday.

Heather - Yes, I sure am having a fun week. Be sure to let us know when you come to town and we will try to meet you for coffee.

Marmalade - ok, let's set a date.

Anonymous - why not?????