Sunday, March 19, 2006

Oh, and one more thing…

In my post about our St Patty's Day adventure I forgot to mention one thing that had me in gales of laughter that night. It was my trip to the ladies room. Yes, the ladies room. What a hoot. I felt like I was in the middle of one of my most embarrassing nightmares. You know the kind where you are walking down the street and suddenly discover you are in your see-through pyjamas, or worse than that– completely naked. Well, one of my recurring dreams has me entering a bathroom stall, getting comfortably seated and only then discovering that I am sitting in the middle of a busy intersection or some other public place, or the stall has no back wall, or only half a door. Once seated I don't know how to get up, pull myself together and get out of there without total embarrassment. Or should I say "showing my-bare-ass-ment"!

As I mentioned in my last blog, our St Patty's Day shindig was held at a rather rustic clubhouse in the middle of nowhere. Not a grand and glorious establishment by a long shot. About half way through the night I decided to make a trip to the ladies room and powder my nose. The loo seemed to be a makeshift afterthought that jutted out into the main dinning room and offered little privacy or removal from the hubbub of activity all around it. A flimsy, toilet-paper thin wall was all that separated you from tables full of party goers. Sheesh!

I opened the rickety door and was confronted with a step. I took the step up and when I raised my eyes, found myself looking directly into a lady's face staring back at me above a half door on one of the two small stalls inside. I burst out laughing and so did she. She was seated in the stall, but because the stall was up on another pedestal like wooden platform and only had half a door, we were on the same level and had eye contact. It was just too funny. There were four ladies in the loo at this time, two in stalls and two waiting on a small patch of floor by the tiny sink, and we were all looking at each other. It was just too funny for words.

It sounded like we weren't removed from the dining room at all, and I was sure that if I entered the stall and sat down, the walls would suddenly collapse and there I would be on the "throne" in the middle of the overcrowded dining room. I said that this reminded me of my worst nightmare and I felt like I was caught with my pants down in the middle of a public place. We were all laughing hysterically by this time and rolled out of there with tears of laughter streaming down our faces.

Let the good times roll.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too freaking funny!!!!!!

~Sha

Lynn said...

Very funny story. It reminds of an incident that happened to me last week. The bar where I go has a small men's with with a trough for a urinal. I was in there standing next to a guy, when his friend opened the door and began talking to him. The bar was rather crowded and four women were standing by the men's room door trying not to look at us. The guy standing in the door was oblivious to the somewhat delicate situation, so I asked him if he could either come inside and talk or wait till his friend finished and left. He did neither. All I could think to say, as I pushed past the women when I left, was, "are we having fun yet?" One of them replied, "don't worry, I've seen smaller ones." At which point, I was doubly relieved. Kind of anyway.

I like the blog's new look. Spring is officially here.