Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Sound of Feathers

Ahh, how nice to be back home and have some free time to write. We were away for 10 days, and things have been a tad busy around here, since we got home, so my time at the computer has be limited.

I am still trying to recuperate from Ally's move too. That on top of all the driving wore me out. To make a long story a bit shorter, let me just say that she moved into a third floor apt with no elevator and everything had to be carried up an outside fire escape type staircase. We had to drive a 16ft cube van in rush hour traffic in a busy downtown area of a major city and then navigate it down narrow laneways to get to the parking lot behind the building. We felt squeezed in just getting the CRV back there the night before the move so we wondered how in the world we would get the tuck in there in the morning. Sure didn’t make for a sound sleep that night let me tell you. I did a lot of tossing and turning and the others seemed restless too.

We got up around 6am rather bleary eyed and fearful but stoically set off to pick up the monster truck. We made a stop for some Tim’s coffee and fortified with that we continued on to face the day. At 7 am, we walked slowly into the rental office and waited our turn for a truck. Two or three people were ahead of us, so we stood quietly and sipped our coffee while we pondered what lay ahead. Finally the man at the counter turned to us and asked.
“And you are…….?????”
Before we could answer with our name, John blurted out the word “Tired!!”
We all burst out laughing and that helped us relax a bit. We signed on the dotted line for the truck and set off on our big adventure. Ally drove our car and John drove the tuck. Good old dad comes to the rescue again.

As we pulled out of the parking lot I breathed a silent prayer to the God of the Universe to help us get there safely and be able to park this monster. Seemed like prayer would be the only thing that could help us manoeuvre this giant in downtown traffic. Help!

After a harrowing drive, in heavy traffic along the main street, we managed to get there in one piece. We even got into the parking lot without too much trouble, but were stupefied as to how to back the truck around all the parked cars there, so we could unpack it. As we stood there looking at the situation, the landlord came over to us and asked us if we wanted him to back the truck in for us. We all fell at his feet and thanked him profusely for his kind offer. He jumped in the cab and manoeuvred the truck as if it were a little sports car and had it in position in no time. He handed us the keys with a smile and wished us a good day as he returned to his work. I think I saw a glint of a halo above his head and heard the rustle of feathers as he walked away from us that day. What a relief to have that task taken off our hands and be able to drive the truck straight out when it came time to return it to the dealer. The best things in life really are free even though they are worth more than words can say.

I hope if you need one, you encounter an angel along your path today, or maybe you can be an angel to someone else. Listen for those feathers, or spread those wings if called upon to do so.


2 comments:

Lynn said...

It is good to see you back. I have looked at your blog each day wondering when that was going to happen. I am glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound after some harrowing experiences.

I've made some changes on my blogging while you have been gone. I've started a new blog at LynnsPulp.blogspot.com and I am no longer Trash at American Tabloid. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I did it.

I might be searching for the real me and have not found him yet.

I have been planning to post my move, but lazy old me has not done it.

Glad to see you back. I'll keep looking for your excellent posts.

Cuppa said...

Nice to hear from you Lynn. I will go check out the new page. Talk to you later.