Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The day after the day after

Yesterday, Boxing Day, skulked by in a fog. I thought I might write a blog, catch up on my reading of your blogs, answer a few email, and write some snail mail, but I took one step forward and two back all day, so eventually I gave up. I just couldn't get the cobwebs out of my head and make any progress at all, so I shut the laptop, put my "to do" list aside and picked up my new book of poetry, Thirst, by Mary Oliver. Ahh, it was just what the doctor ordered. I sat quietly and drank deeply there then listened to music for a while. Yes, that was what I needed to do.

Let me share one of Mary's poems with you.

When I am among the trees

When I am among the trees
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile,"
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine.

Oh goodness I can't stop at just one, let me share another with you -

Mozart for Example

All the quick notes
Mozart didn't have time to use
before he entered the cloud-boat

are falling now from the beaks
of the finches
that have gathered from the joyous summer

into the hard winter
and, like Mozart, they speak of nothing
but light and delight,

though it is true, the heavy blades of the world
are still pounding underneath.
And this is what you can do too, maybe,

if you live simply and with a lyrical heart
in the cumbered neighbourhoods or even,
as Mozart sometimes managed to, in a palace,

offering tune after tune after tune,
making some hard-hearted prince
prudent and kind, just by being happy.


Ok, I'll stop there.

The cobwebs cleared a bit today and I made much better progress with my "to do" list, but at noon I put it aside and went out for a walk among the trees to find some light that I might shine; all the while listening for a few notes of the finches' song.

After our walk AC and I sorted through some pictures of our Second Christmas to post on our blogs. Let me share a few of those with you now. AC has also posted some on his blog be sure to stop by and have a look here.

Christmas 31
Butterfly prepared a Christmas Eve Buffet to munch on while we played Trivial Pursuit, after which we watched Dickens' A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim. Here I am helping prepare the buffet by icing the cream cheese with Apple Rum Chutney. Yum!

Christmas 26
We arrived back at Butterfly and the Boy's house about 10am on Christmas morning to nibble on toasted crumpets slathered in butter, and sip coffee while we opened the gifts Santa put in our Stockings during the night. Yes, he still visits our house and leaves goodies for us. What fun. Hmmmm, I wonder what Santa is trying to tell me with this gift?

Christmas 32
Butterfly and I spent lots of time in the kitchen on the weekend and had fun working there together. Work is always more fun when you take time for a hug

Christmas 23
and a kiss. Yes, The Boy and AC helped out in the kitchen too.

Christmas 30
Ahhh, the relaxin' side of Christmas. I love it. How neat to enjoy a hot cuppa whilst watching A Christmas Carol.


Christmas 27
Butterfly is in gales of laughter while The Boy tries to talk to Smudge.

Christmas 20
And finally a Merry Christmas picture of Mr and Mrs. C.

10 comments:

Mary said...

you all make me SMILE! i just love the pics, especially the one of shauna and eric talking to the baby!

you are all so precious.

Maya's Granny said...

What lovely pictures. It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas -- I'm so glad.

Cathy said...

What a lovely way to clear the fog - reminiscent of Frost's clearing the pasture spring. You read poetry to help dust away some cobwebs.

I'm so glad you posted these poems. They do help me take a deep breath and focus if only momentarily on the possibilities of light and mindfulness.

The pictures make me smile. Happiness does that :0)

MissKris said...

Hello...just coming over from Mel's "Unretouched Photo" blog...I've seen your blog posted on her Blogs in Focus sidebar but haven't had much time to do any visiting recently. Tonite I'm cruising, and here I am! I enjoyed my visit a lot, tho I wish I could've found a Profile listed to learn a little more about you?? Or did I just miss it? Please stop by and say hello if you ever get a chance...the door's always open. Happy New Year! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the poems. You have me thinking about making a trip to the bookstore.

luna pie said...

Hello dear Auntie!
Happy Hol's to you!
I hear you rung in the New Year at riverwood! There is no better place...
Mom said something about a dance party in the dining room!?
Hahahah!

All the very best to you in the new year... the BEST, i say! ;)

Lots of Love,
Sass

karla said...

I am late, but better late than never to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. The photo's are lovely, especially the one of The Boy talking to little Smudge. Too precious!

Cuppa said...

Marm - I love the one of Shauna laughing and Eric talking to Smudge too.

Granny - yes we did have a wonderful Christmas. Sure didn't have much time for blogs though. I am way behind on my reading and writing. Sigh! I am up to my ears in packing boxes and Christmas decorations so de-Christmasing the house is taking most of my time these days. Hope to be back into a routine next week.

Cathy- I am glad you liked the poems, and pictures brought a smile or two.

misskris - thanks for stopping by to say hello. I will pop by your place for a visit soon.

Lynn - You are welcome! Not much writing has been going on here in my little corner of the world these days, but I have been enjoying my new poetry book. Ahh, nothing quite like poetry to refresh the soul and feed the spirit.

Sass - love and hugs and a happy new year to you too.

We had lots of fun at Riverwood and did dance the night away. What a hoot. Your dad was high stepping and getting right into it. The dogs didn't know what the heck was going on and barked up a storm, but that only added to the festivities.

Karla - I don't know what else you could be doing with your time these days. Ha ha! Enjoy each and every minute of each and every day. I am so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Funny - I was thinking of dropping by and posting a 'hello' to you this morning even though you've not posted in a while - and then - there you were with your gentle wave 'hello' on my blog's doorstep. So 'hello!' to you, Cuppa :0) Hope you're having a pleasant weekend.

I'm still enjoying your family's Christmas pictures - so much fun and love spilling forth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting "Mozart for example." I believe your posting is the only one Google found. I'm planning to use it as a reading at our Taize Evensong.
Katharine Nicholson
katharn at xwires dot net