Saturday, January 14, 2006

Neither here nor there...

We were supposed to be at RW this week enjoying a winter holiday in the snowy north, but the mild wet weather put a stop to that, so here we sit at home feeling at 6's and 7's, not knowing what to do next. I am neither here nor there and can't quite settle in to do anything constructive right now.

I seem to enter a different frame of mind when I am at RW. I have books lined up to read, blogs to write, poetry to savour, painting projects to do, long walks in the woods planned and lots of time set aside to sip hot chocolate and just gaze out the window while I contemplate life and find solutions to all the problems facing the universe. Oh I do cherish my time spent in the magical air at the farm during winter. I am trying to make the best of being at home instead of there right now, but this mild rainy weather is watering down my energy and the dull gloomy days are flooding my life with lethargy.

I woke up to the sound of freezing rain hitting the bedroom window this morning and now strong winds are beating a steady rhythm of winter on the walls of the house. Maybe, just maybe a change in the weather is coming and will bring with it a breath of fresh energy. One can always hope.

In the meantime I will just have to make my own sunshine on this dull January day. I picked up my book club selection for February from the library yesterday, Thomas King's "Green Grass, Running Water," so I think it is time to make a pot of tea, pour myself a steaming cup of the brew and curl up with my new book. Yes, that seems like a nice sunny thing to do.

Hope you find a way to make yourself some sunshine on this dreary January day too.

Talk to you all later.

6 comments:

Dale said...

I'll be shining on stage in Oakville tonight, Cuppa. Nice to hear from you, and to know I'm not the only one who's weary of grey skies. Shine on, Girl!

Lynn said...

A new book, a pot of tea, and a rainy day on which to read it sounds pretty good to me.

Enjoy.

Heather Plett said...

I heard a discussion of that book on Books & Company (CBC Radio) last year and have always wanted to read it. Let me know what you think and whether it's worth a purchase or a library borrow :-)

Yeah, we're pretty sick of grey skies out here in the west too.

Cuppa said...

Dale - I will. You too. I think I can see a glow in the sky over Toronto tonight.

Lynn - Yes it was a good day and I did enjoy. Thanks. Hope you did too.

Cuppa said...

Heather - Oh you just published a comment while I was busy with the other ones.

I tried to post a note on your blog the other day with congratulations on the Globe and Mail article, but couldn't get blogger to co-operate.
Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. Do you hear that? Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. That is my standing ovation! Way to go girl.

I will let you know what I think of the book. Stay tuned.

Gina said...

We began the day with sun, which morphed into rain, and then ended the day with a gloriously beautiful sunset.

Perhaps soon you can consider visiting CA in the winter, there really can be rather delicious weather here.