Sunday, June 12, 2005

Sisterhood

Tea with Henrietta Muir Edwards


What a joy to join this teaparty on Parliament Hill. I forgot my fancy dress but I brought my heartfelt thanks, and these women saved a chair for me and warmly invited me to join them.

"Come and sit down awhile with us Cuppa" I could hear them whispering to me as I passed by. I eagerly stepped back in time and entered this joyful celebration of their victory in the Persons Case of 1929, a landmark step in Canadian women's struggle for equality. I was honoured to be in their presence and felt right at home with them. These women won a legal challenge to have women considered "persons" under the British North America Act, making them eligible for appointment to the Senate. These five leading women were Emily Murphy, Henrietta Muir Edwards, Louise McKinney, Nellie McClung and Irene Parlby.

Thank you ladies. I will be eternally grateful.

"No woman should be shamefaced in attempting, through her work, to give back to the world a portion of its lost heart."
Louise Bogan

"Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal."
Pamela Starr

Continue to dream your dreams dear blogging sisters of mine and bring to your corner of the world a portion of its lost heart. We can be the change we want to see in this old world!

3 comments:

karla said...

How ironic that you sit next to a landmark that honours women and is such an inspiring tale, when you yourself are such an inspiration for women in your own right.


This blogging sister is reaching as high as she can for her goals.

Lynn said...

It is good to read your post. My prediction came true. You've been missed.

Gina said...

How lovely to see your post, Cuppa!

Ditto what Karla said!

I miss you, but I am glad that you have been having such a good time.