Thursday, March 27, 2014

An interesting phone call from a 6 year old

The phone rang the other day, and it was Danica calling to say hello, and to let me know all about Google+, and how to use it if I wanted to contact her.  I listened intently, as she gave me all the ins and outs of Google+.

The conversation soon moved on to other things though, and by the end of the phone call my head was spinning, I had a huge smile on my face, and I again wondered if I had really had this conversation with a 6 year old.

The conversation hopped around from topic to topic, and it went something like this:

Do you know who Martin Luther King was? she asked.

Yes, he was a civil rights leader in the United States.  I replied.  I don't know a lot about him, but you could probably research him on Wikipedia later.  I know you and mommy do a lot of that together.

Is he like Nelson Mandela from South Africa?  I was reading about him the other night, and his childrens' names are very different, and I can't remember any of them.  His grandfather's name had about 31 letters in it, and I can't remember it either because it was so long.  His wife's name was Winnie, and that is easy to remember.

We talked some more about Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, while I shook my head in amazement at the topic of this conversation.  We then moved on to what she had done last night.   Mommy had taken them out for dinner and a movie.  

Oh, I said.  I always liked Disney movies. 

Walt Disney?  She asked.  I was reading about him the other day, and his daughter, Diane, just died in November last year.  His other daughter, Abigail, is still alive, but I can't remember her age.

Well, I don't know anything about his family, but I always enjoyed his movies.  I replied

Do you mean Saving Mr Banks?  She asked
  
I don't know.  Is that one of his new movies? I asked incredulously.

It is a movie about Mary Poppins and Julie Andrews, with Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks in it. She chatted on. I read about it in the theater when we were there last night, and it is now playing at the Empire Theater. 

Oh.  I replied almost speechless.

We talked some more before she said good-bye to rush off to do other exciting things with her day.  I rushed for a pen and paper to jot down, as best I could, what she had said.   I knew I had to blog about this most amazing conversation.

She absolutely astonishes me.  She is so interested in people, and wants to know their names and birth-dates.  We watched a movie with the kids during March Break week, and at the end of the movie, she went to the computer to look up each actor, find their birth-dates so she could calculate their age now,  see the country where they were born, and what the national anthem of the country was.  We then had to look up who wrote the anthem, and what his birth-date was.  We listened to all the national anthems and chose which one we liked best.   Amazing, just amazing.  I must admit that I have never ended watching a video in this way.  We had to pause the screen when the credits started to roll, so she could find out the actual name of each character, then look them up on Wikipedea.

My head is still spinning, and I imagine it will do so for years to come at the actions of this most amazing child.  Hope I can keep up with her questioning mind.









 


 

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

precocious and curious. bless her!

Andrea said...

A true people person, eh?

I see a busy social life for her as she gets older. :)

Anonymous said...

I love a reader. She really is amazing.