Friday, February 17, 2006

Riverwood Morning

Snow was swirling around the bedroom window a couple of minutes ago, but now things look pretty calm out there. I think the sun might even be trying to break through the clouds. The snow was thick and fluffy when I first got up, but the "storm" keeps starting and stopping. The wind is howling around the house like a pack of hungry wolves trying to get in and the snow is swirling around like imps teasing them to come play a game of tag with them. I can see them whirling and twirling together up and down Welcome Lane, and it sure looks like they are having fun.

We had a ton of freezing rain dumped on us on yesterday, and last night too, so there is a skating rink on fields, meadows and drives. A light layer of snow is skimming along on top of ice like hockey players in the Olympics. The snowflakes sure can move and dodge and change directions quickly. What talent! I think a gold medal is a sure thing.

When I heard the freezing rain hitting the windows last night, I thought that we might have trouble with our power, so I hunted up candles and matches and got ready for what might come our way, but we were fine. I knew that freezing rain and high winds can cause real problems with power lines up here, so I got ready for it as best I could and then settled in for the evening. We sat in the warm cozy farmhouse all evening and read our books and drank steaming cups of tea while the storm rattled and raged outside. I crawled between the covers to snuggle down for the night around 10, but AC stayed up reading into the wee small hours. He said that he saw lightning. Sheesh! I didn't hear or see anything. It is amazing how deeply I sleep up here. The bed is not the most comfortable one in the world, and I don't like being scrunched against the wall, but I get into my little groove and manage to enjoy a deep and restful sleep each night. My back is always a bit gamey in the mornings, but nothing that doesn't wear off after a few stretches and a walk around from window to window.

I do enjoy my morning stroll to all the windows to check out the view being offered outside each one here at Riverwood. First I peer out the front bedroom window to see what is going on along Welcome Lane. From there I move to the Living Room windows and take in the beauty of the giant pine trees on Pine Fort Knoll, then my gaze moves down to the Chickadee tree in Apple Blossom Meadow. Lots of activity in the craggy old tree this morning, and I stand there amazed at how these little birds keep warm in this cold winter blast. I move to the kitchen window at the back of the house and my eyes roam up to Raspberry Hill Gate and across the yard to Fourpaw Pasture and Elisarben Meadow. Ah, all is well and beautiful. I get the coffee ready to drip into the pot and savour the fragrance of the brew while I stand at the kitchen window and drink in the beautiful view of the fields and barns of Riverwood. Oh so good for my heart and spirit. Heaven on earth indeed.

While I have been sitting here writing, the view out of the window in front of me has changed from bright and sunny to dull with thick snow and back to sunshine again. Mother Nature isn't quite sure what she wants to do this morning, and neither am I, so I will just sit here and enjoy the show.

I hope you have a warm comfortable spot from which to watch Mother Nature do her thing today. Enjoy life whatever you end up doing. Take care.

No comments: